Page - Meet Monica
Name: Monica Ng
Home town: Sydney, Australia
Who am I? Ex-big 4 Accountant and currently a jewellery and object designer and maker and handmade business blogger
- Etsy Shop: www.geometricskies.etsy.com
- Instagram: @geometric_skies
- Pinterest: @geometric_skies
- Handmade business blog: www.thenerdburgers.com
A little about me:
I made a life changing decision at the end of 2013. I closed a 9 year chapter of my life dedicated to obtaining a university education and nurturing an accounting career as a financial services auditor in a Big 4 accounting firm because the type of work I was doing was sucking my soul dry, so I decided to pursue a long time interest of mine, which was jewellery design. It was the best decision I’ve ever made!
My interest in designing jewellery started in 2009, when I started to dabble in it as a hobby. I made a few necklaces, bracelets and rings for myself at the time and as I wore them out and about, I started to receive more compliments and positive encouragement from random people I encountered on the street and friends/family. I was then encouraged to indulge the idea of opening an online shop.
Geometric Skies kicked off to a slow and humble start in 2010, but the stresses of full time work and life in general, meant my jewellery shop sat largely untouched for quite some time. In 2013, I decided it was time to devote more time and energy to see if this was a real passion or just a passing fad. In 2013 I was hand-selected as 1 of 40 independent artists in RAW’s premiere Sydney showcase, was chosen by EtsyAU to exhibit “The Harper” grenade necklace as part of their interactive shopping experience in the L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival and participated in specialty and local markets such as the Finders Keepers, Bondi and Kirribilli to name a few highlights.
These experiences made me realise that this wasn’t a passing fad. I really enjoyed connecting with my customers and and sharing in the joy my work enables them to experience. I loved interacting with artists and designers and discovering how their journeys have unfolded. I didn’t want to wake up as a 50 year old accountant, experiencing a mid-life crisis, hating the daily grind of going into an office, looking at Excel spreadsheets and regret not pursing jewellery design. I reevaluated what could make me happy and I knew that my accounting career wasn’t going to, so I decided to take a leap of faith and leave behind 9 years of my life that I had dedicated to my accounting career and to pursue studies in jewellery design and kickstart my small jewellery business!
As part of this new chapter of my life, I’ll be sharing my adventures and lessons learned as a new creative who quit the corporate rat race as an office cubicle worker to pursue a creative life as a jewellery and objects designer and maker.
What are our gangsters saying?
- “The lava rock necklace is one of my favourites. Quality is excellent. I always get many compliments when I wear it and it’s definitely one of the most unique and versatile pieces in her collection.” – Sarah N.
- “Monica designed the perfect piece that fit with all my specifications and she kept me involved throughout the entire process. She updated me regularly, and was genuinely excited to help me receive a piece of jewelry that I loved. The piece was well-made and beautiful, absolutely ideal when it came to me in the mail, and I feel that the time put in and the quality was well worth any price or wait.” – Chanel W.
- “Monica is a truly gifted jewellery maker and an absolute dream to deal with. I recently commissioned her to design a custom piece for me and she made the whole process fun and easy. She listened to what I wanted and made sure I was kept up to date along the way. Her pieces are always made with great care and her presentation is immaculate. I am so thrilled with the final product and happy to support such a talented local designer” – Miles C.